The Kingston Engineering Story

Starting Out In 1919

At a time when the nation was recovering from the aftermath of the First World War, our business was starting out in Hull. We first began trading as Hull Motor Transport and Engineering Co in 1919, providing car and commercial vehicle repair to the motor trade.

In those early years, when we were based at our original site on Dansom Lane in Hull, our business provided cylinder grinding and manufactured pistons.

Under the leadership of Fred Markham, one of the best engineers in the area at the time and Thomas Simpkins, the business focussed on giving customers a personal service.

With a staff of ten employees and with growing success, the business was soon to move towards offering general engineering services. In these very early years, Kingston Engineering obtained a reputation for repairing saw milling machinery and printing machinery.

The 20's Through To The 40's

In 1924, the business changed its name to Kingston Engineering Co. Ltd. As early as 1930, the company first making screws, which would prove to be a very significant departure for the business.

From 1930 to 1945, marked by the Second World War, Kingston Engineering was to significantly expand and develop its manufacturing facilities. During this time the company was also manufacturing components for aircraft undercarriages and most notably for the Stirling Bomber.

The workforce was to also significantly increase at this time. It was to be a very fortunate period for Kingston Engineering as the company premises were mostly unaffected by bomb damage during this time period.

 

Some image content has been kindly supplied by the Humberside Executive © T Aspinall (Holdings) Ltd.